1975 - 1998
In 1975, Hunter, Allen and Myhand purchased the Whitley Mansion from the Richard Yates family and converted it to a funeral home. John Whitley, one of Georgia's leading paving contractors, had built the structure as his home in 1926. Whitley was known for using his home to entertain prominent political figures, such as his personal friends President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Governor Eugene Talmadge.
Nick Allen retired in 1983, and later that year, J. Cliff Hunter, Jr. passed away. Remaining owner Curtis Myhand and his wife Camilla Cotton Myhand continued to operate the business with their daughter and son-in-law, Claire and Ed Batchelor, until 1998, when they sold the business to Carriage Services, Inc.
1927 - 1975In 1927, they built the Hunter-Owen Funeral Home at 111 Broad Street. The two story modern building had a large front porch and two entrances. The entrance on the right led to the lobby, office, stateroom, preparation room and an elevator. Through the one on the left was the reception room with the chapel behind it. The firm owned two hearses and an ambulance.
In 1953, the firm was renamed Hunter-Allen-Myhand Funeral Home when J. Cliff Hunter, Jr. partnered with Curtis Myhand and Nick Allen, who had joined the firm in 1933. J. Clifford Hunter, Jr. was president; Nick Allen was vice president; and Curtis Myhand was secretary/treasurer. Both the funeral home and ambulance operations continued until 1966 when the ambulance service was discontinued.
June 2013 - May 2017Mark and Cherie Neal proudly lead the longstanding heritage and tradition that the funeral home has been known for in LaGrange and Troup county for the past nine decades. They, along with the entire staff of Hunter-Allen-Myhand Funeral Home, were dedicated to serving the families with passion and dignity.
We stand ready to assist you. If a death has occurred, please call us on the number below:
Close this window
Who We Are
What We Offer
Why Plan Ahead?
How We Help